Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Coming in 2013

Below is a list of what I'm looking forward to seeing at the movies this year. I put this together by going to IMDB and looking at its slate of upcoming releases. There will be, I'm sure, a whole heap of films released this year which I haven't heard of yet. I'm absolutely certain that there will be many smaller indie flicks, foreign films, and classics shown in retrospectives that will turn out to be the highlights of my moviegoing year (at least that's usually the case--but, hell, 2013 could be different). 

With all that said, here's the bigger budget, bigger hyped stuff that I'm interested in seeing for one reason or another.   

1. GANGSTER SQUAD: (1-11) The cast is great, it's set in the 50s, and it involves the Mickey Cohen's war against the LAPD. The trailer looks iffy, though. I got a 50/50 feeling about this one.
 
2.  BROKEN CITY: (1-18) Neo-noir with Wahlberg and Crowe.

3. A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD: (2-15) I kinda hated the last two Die Hards, but my affection for the first two remains undimmed. I don't expect greatness, but I'm hoping for a decent action flick.

4. THE PLACE BEYOND THE PINES: (3-29). Ryan Gosling in a neo-noir directed by Derek Cianfrance (BLUE VALENTINE). I have high hopes for this one.

5. TO THE WONDER: (4-12). Terrence Malick gettin' all Terrence Malick on Ben Affleck and Rachel McAdams.

6. STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS: (5-17). What? I like Star Trek. Sue me.

7. MAN OF STEEL: 6-14. I'm not a big comic movie guy, but I suspect this one is going to do something interesting with the Superman mythology.

8. THIS IS THE END: 6-14. Saw the red band trailer for this a few weeks ago and laughed and laughed.

9. ELYSIUM: (8-9). There's going to be a rash of end-of-the-earth sci-fi thrillers next year. This one stars Matt Damon so it's the one I want to see.

10. SIN CITY: A DAME TO KILL FOR: (10-4). I can't say I've stayed a big Frank Miller fan over the years, but I'm certainly up for a return to Sin City. 

11. OLDBOY: (11-11) Spike Lee.

12. THE MONUMENTS MEN: (12-20) Clooney.

13. JACK RYAN: (12-27) Reboot of the Clancy series stars Chris Pine as Ryan and Kevin Costner as his mentor.          

And a couple of release dates that I'm not sure about:

14. BEFORE MIDNIGHT: Hawke, Delpy and Linklater are back for the third installment of their Jesse/Celine films. They sprung this one as a surprise on the world (a few months ago no one even knew that they were making it). A nice surprise for those of us who love the whole idea of a series of films, shot about every nine years or so, about two people just walking around talking to each other--about life, desire, politics, hopes, fears, and, of course, love. Cannot wait for this one.

15. MUD: Matthew McConaughey stars in this little indie about a couple of boys who befriend an escaped convict. Looks damn good, and I hope it continues the run of fine performances that McConaughey started rolling last year. 

No comments: