Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Night of the Hunter gets the CC treatment




On November 16th, one of the greatest of all noirs, Charles Laughton's masterpiece The Night of the Hunter gets the Criterion Collection treatment. The package looks to be all that such an important film deserves: a newly restored digital transfer, a discussion with Laughton biographer Simon Callow, and most impressively--two and a half hours of outtakes and behind the scenes footage enticingly titled Charles Laughton Directs The Night of the Hunter.

Laughton's film unfolds like a child's nightmare, with Robert Mitchum playing a woman-murdering child-terrorizing preacher named Harry Powell. I'll post an essay on the film in a few days. For now, check out the movie's page at the Criterion Collection.

3 comments:

Cullen Gallagher said...

Somehow I missed that this was coming out so soon! Thanks for pointing it out

Mike Wilkerson said...

I remember seeing this movie for the first time about ten years ago. Scary movies don't really, uhm, scare me. But this one really gave me the creeps.

Thanks for the update.

Unknown said...

I just bought the Criterion of this. Such a great movie