Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Killer Cometh


Michael Winterbottom's adaptation of Jim Thompson's The Killer Inside Me opened in limited release on Friday. It hits DC on July 2nd, but the controversy surrounding the film has already preceded it like a bad reputation.

I've been waiting for this film for over a year now, though honestly, at this point, I'm a little nervous to see it. I'm braced for a disturbing experience, and I remain hopeful that the film is a good disturbing experience--but I'm also open to the idea that the film is cynical trash disguised as art. Only a viewing of the film itself will provide an answer.

Until then, here are some interesting links.

First up, an overview of the long march from novel to screen. A film version was proposed a long time ago with two huge--and somewhat surprising--stars. Why did that adaptation fall through? And how do you now get people to commit to making a film this damn dark in an age of 3D blockbusters?

Second, "Filmed to a Pulp" is a wider look at the challenges of adapting Thompson for the big screen. This one is by Charles McGrath of the New York Times and is thankfully more interested in the film and its source than in the controversy surrounding it.

Lastly, here's an interview with Casey Affleck, the star of the film. No matter what comes of The Killer Inside Me, I think Affleck is a major talent. Anyone who hasn't seen Gone Baby Gone or The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford is encouraged to do so immediately.

2 comments:

Vince said...

IFC Films has also made Killer available via On Demand. That's how I saw the film, which is a faithful if flawed adaptation of Thompson's novel.

Jake Hinkson said...

I saw that IFC had it on demand, but I'm holding out for the theater--mostly because I can. After I see it, though, I wanna get your thoughts on it.