Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Report From France PLUS A Great Article In The Arkansas Times

We're having an incredible time in France. I've done a few events with the great Ben Whitmer (PIKE and CRY FATHER), who, it turns out, is as cool as he is talented. We did an event at a Paris bookshop, then I headed to Montpellier to do some presentations while Whitmer was dispatched to some other town to do the same. Then we met up in Lyon for the huge Quais Du Polar festival where we got to meet readers and hobnob with literary lights from around the world. I sat on a panel discussion, had a solo event that was shockingly well attended, and signed books. Then we headed back to Paris for a party with booksellers last night. The level of organization here between publishers, booksellers, and readers is incredible. I know of nothing like it in the states. The reception that I've gotten here quite frankly has me stunned. It's been so warm and effusive. We sold out of my books at the festival, and I found out that I'm on the bestseller list for independent bookstores. I mean, what the hell is going on?

I'll report back and post some more pictures here when I get back to Chicago. For now, though, I wanted to post the OTHER best thing that's happened to me in the last week, this great article in the Arkansas Times ("Jake Hinkson's Arkansas Noir") by Matt Baker. I've never gotten much coverage in my home state, so it's really exciting to get such a nice write up.

2 comments:

Sherwood said...

Bonjour Monsieur Hinkson. Je viens de lire L'enfer de Church Street juste paru en France. Bravo et merci pour esprit malsain et jubilatoire ! C'est un vrai plaisir de vous entendre vitupérer le monde..; Dieu… et les imbéciles!!! On attend vite vos autres romans. (sorry I can't translate in English)
Robin

Jake Hinkson said...

Hey Robin! Thanks so much for the nice note. I'm glad you liked the book, and it sounds like you really caught the esprit malsain et jubilatoire of the thing.